How to Mulch A New Tree
The importance of Mulching Your New Tree
You have found and planted your new tree. Now, what is next? It is time to mulch your new tree and give it a great start. Did you know by improperly applying it, you can damage your new tree? We asked Natorp’s garden expert, Ron Wilson, to share his tips for protecting your new investment in the landscape.
3 Important Reasons To Mulch Your New Tree
1. Protect Your Tree from Extreme Temperatures
Mulch creates protection from Cincinnati’s extreme summer and winter temperatures.
2. It Helps Maintain Moisture
It helps reduce moisture loss caused by the sun, evaporation, and wind. Less moisture loss results in less watering.
3. Prevents Weeds
By covering the soil with mulch, you deprive weed seeds of the light they need to germinate.
Watch Ron’s tips and get your tree off to the best start!
3 Steps on How to Mulch Around Your New Tree
- Once you have finished planting, place one to three inches of good quality mulch on top of the planting area and the top root ball of your tree.
- When applying the mulch, make certain it is not placed against the trunk.
- The mulched area should resemble a doughnut around the plant.
Cincinnati Gardening Made Simple! We grow 30,000 trees each year! Have a tree question? Ask the Experts!